Monday, February 18, 2008

Sarah Catherine Williams Stone


This is a picture of my 3rd great grandmother, Sarah Catherine Williams Stone, 1844-1935. It is one of my favorite pictures. It belonged to my grandmother, and now, my mom. I had some copies made of it a few years ago. Her husband, my 3rd great grandfather, Joel C. Stone, was a Union soldier during the war between the states. Family legend is that he went awol one year during harvest, then returned to his regiment. Not sure if that is true, but it is true that he was captured by Confederate forces and was a prisoner at the infamous Andersonville. While there, he became ill, and was released as part of a prisoner exchange. He went home, married Sarah, and had 7 children. Unfortunately, he never fully recovered from the illness he contracted at Andersonville, and died in 1878, at the age of about 39.

No comments: