Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Drummers




Bernadette, our 5 year old, received a set of drums for Christmas. She had talked about it for months. Her favorite Beatle is Ringo, and thats why she wanted a set. Last week Ringo was on Larry King, promoting his new album, "Liverpool 8". Lauren taped the segment for me, so the three of us watched it. When Ringo started singing, Bernadette started crying. We asked her what was wrong and she just pointed to the television saying "I love Ringo!"
Tonight me and Lauren were in the living room. She was practicing her guitar and I was reading something about pentatonic scales when we heard the drums in the other room. Lauren said it sounded like Frederick, so I went in there, and sure enough, he's standing there banging away. I helped him onto the seat and he kept playing. I clapped and he looked up, smiled, and kept playing without stopping. I run to get my camera and start snapping away. By this time, our 4 year old, Bridget comes in, and asks if she can play so she can get her picture taken too. I tell her yes, as soon as Frederick stops. He stops about a minute later, throwing the sticks down and running off to his next adventure.
Bridget starts playing, and I take some pictures. Naturally, Bernadette comes in and has to have a turn too. After all, they are her drums. In a matter of minutes, the session ends.
My experience has always been it is most difficult to find and keep drummers. Look at all the trouble Spinal Tap has had. How nice it would be to have 3 in the family. Of course, I probably need a sizable supply of earplugs, but it might be worth it.

No comments: