Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Konstantz, Baden

I've been working on my genealogy for many years. Any time a new discovery is made, I get excited about it. On my list of places to visit are places where my ancestors lived. The list includes some well known cities such as Bern, Switzerland and Waterford,Ireland, but also some not so well known places such as Coshocton, Ohio, London Grove, Pennyslvania, Barren County, Kentucky, Rutherfordton, North Carolina,and Reading, Berkshire. Of course, most people think I'm just nuts. The birthplace of one of my 4th great grandfathers, John Baptiste Troll, was a mystery until recently when a cousin of mine discovered it to be in Konstantz, Baden, on the Deutschland-Switzerland border (Yeah I know--you are wondering why I, as an American, am referring to Germany as Deutschland--but that is the subject of a future blog). So now I want to take a trip to Konstantz. While I am there, I want to take a side trip to another town in Baden, called Baden-Baden. I'm not sure if any ancestors lived there, but I just think it would be cool to go to place called Baden-Baden, Baden. Say it with me....Baden-Baden, Baden. Yeah, I definitely have to go there.
Speaking of genealogy, my wife's 3rd cousins, the Michot Brothers of the Lost Bayou Ramblers, were nominated for a Grammy. They didn't win, but that is still a cool thing.

No comments: