Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mardi Gras




We celebrated Mardi Gras here in Houma. We set up on Main Street, near Hollywood Road. Lauren's parents, Allen and Colette joined us. The crowd was mostly families, as opposed to Endymion, which was a lot of college aged people. The Krewe of Houmas parade was first. We got a lot of beads and stuffed animals. My 5 year old godson, Joey, who was staying with us for a few days, even got a skateboard. I took turns holding my daughters Colette and Bernadette to help them get some beads. Bridget didn't want to be held. Frederick fell asleep. Uncle Steve was on one of the floats and even though we were yelling at the top of our lungs, he didn't see us. I was happy to see the Budweiser Clydesdales. They remind me of home. Although, I must admit, I was happy to be in the warm, breezy 80 degree weather as opposed to the snow they experienced during their "Mardi Gras" parade in Soulard, St. Louis, which was actually held on Samedi Gras (Saturday). The Krewe of Kajuns, aka "the truck parade" was next and went pretty quickly. Little Colette was excited to see her friend on one of the floats. None of the floats in the Houma parades play Mardi Gras music though, its all hard rock or hip hop. I'm not quite sure what Boston's "More Than A Feeling" has to do with traditional Louisiana culture, but, c'est la vie--it's carnival time!

No comments: