Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dear Bookstore...

Dear Bookstore,
Last summer I purchased a book on your online site about President Zachary Taylor.
From this one purchase, you think you have me figured out, don't you? I bought one book about a president, so I must be interested in buying books about all the other presidents too. Franklin Pierce? Grover Cleveland? How about Warren Harding? If there's a book about a president, you have been so kind as to let me know about it via an email or as a recommendation just for me when I visit your website! It really is nice of you, but there is just one problem. You think you know me, but you don't. I am not a presidentphile.(not sure if presidentphile is a word, if not, it is now!) Yes, I have a degree in history, and yes, I love biographies, but any purchase of a book about a president will probably be few and far between. So now you may be wondering why I purchased a book on President Taylor. Well, you see, dear Bookstore, I am heavy into genealogy and family history, and Zach is a cousin of mine. That's why I bought that book. Now having told you a little something about myself, please don't recommend genealogy books to me. See, you may know what I have purchased from you, but you don't know what I already have, and I have everything I need. Thank you for your concern though.
Sincerely,
Fred

No comments: