Monday, March 3, 2008

Soccer/Football Rant

I am a soccer fan. For those of you outside the USA, I am talking about football. I never really understood why we call it soccer here. I always thought that "other game" where they wear the helmets would be better named "tackleball". Of course, I am a fan of that game too-- I follow the Rams, Saints, Colts and Dolphins in the NFL, and Notre Dame and LSU in college.
Anyway, I follow the European soccer leagues a little bit, and the last couple years the MLS here in the USA. There is no team here in the New Orleans area, although we have a low level developmental team, the Shell Shockers. For the MLS, I try to follow FC Dallas, and Los Angeles (I like Alexei Lalas, and yes, I still think it is fun to watch Beckham). I like some of the players from New England and New York, but I'm not much of a fan of those two teams. Don't know why, just because.
I was really pulling for St. Louis to be the next MLS franchise. Even though I am down here in south Louisiana, I still consider the St. Louis area home. Everything is in place to build the St Louis United stadium in my hometown of Collinsville, Illinois, but alas, the latest franchise was awarded to the Philadelphia Athletic Club. I can't really argue with that decision, because Philly has a massive population compared to the Lou, and I foresee a very successful franchise there. Lots of great soccer tradition in Philadelphia. Still, I am bummed out there won't be a team in Collinsville....just yet. United undoubtedly is now the favorite to be the 17th franchise during the next round of expansion.

No comments: