Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cousin Barack?

It was all over the internet today about Barack Obama being related to some famous people. Of course, being heavy into genealogy I usually glance at these type of articles but this one made me do a double take. Two of my distant cousins were mentioned, Jimmy and Bob. Cousin Jimmy ( my 2nd cousin 7 times removed) you would know as President James Madison. Our common ancestor is James Taylor, who is his grandfather and my 8th great grandfather. Cousin Bob (my 4th cousin 6 times removed) you would know as General Robert E Lee. Our common ancestor is Richard Lee, a 9th great grandfather of mine and 3rd great grandfather of his.
After checking the reports of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, there was no direct ancestor linking me and Senator Obama. It is interesting to note however, that in later generations a Clark family does appear in his tree, but not one I am able to make a connection to. So for now, I will just have to be content with President James Madison, General Robert E Lee, President Zachary Taylor, General George McClellan, Bing Crosby, President Richard Nixon, Bob Newhart, President Franklin Roosevelt, William Brewster, and Isaac Allerton as my most famous relatives.

No comments: