Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cardinals

Yesterday I was sitting with Frederick, looking out the window when I saw three cardinals in the grass.(Yes,I know, I should have taken a picture, but didn't) Seeing cardinals here in Louisiana reminds me of home in Illinois, where they are the official state bird and plentiful. Also, it is the name of my favorite baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, based just across the river from my Illinois home. (Sadly, the baseball Cardinals were eliminated from making the playoffs yesterday)

Now, mind you, I don't know anything about birds, but I began to wonder why I've never seen a cardinal as a pet. You would think it would be all the rage back in the St. Louis area. What makes parakeets and finches okay to have as pets and not blue jays or cardinals? Are parakeets "domesticated", and if so what makes it "domesticated" as opposed to a cardinal?

Yes, I know, kind of silly, just something that crossed my mind.

No comments: