Tuesday, August 5, 2008

No Depression


I was sad to hear about the cessation of No Depression Magazine. Named after the Carter Family song covered by Uncle Tupelo on UT's album by the same name, it is my favorite music magazine.
The magazine was the leading source of of the alt-country/americana/roots rock movement. I was buying the magazine early on, and had a subscription for awhile. Most of the time, I bought it off the rack.
It was always fun for me, as I knew or had met many of the artists that graced the pages. Although I never received a review or a mention, I did run a few ads following the Just Another Day release in '97, and it brought me some fans.
Happily, No Depression will carry on as a webzine and publish a couple of books each year. Yes, I will be checking it out, but the mag will be missed.
Pic: Fred No Depression ad, 1997

No comments: